If you're planning a long-distance move, there are a few ways you can reduce the impact this move has on the environment. While you may think a green move may add more stress to your life, you can incorporate these tricks into steps you're already taking to ensure a successful move.
The Alaska long-distance movers at Allied Alaska offer a few of their environmentally-friendly tips that are simple but can make a big difference. After all, our residential movers in Alaska have learned that the smallest changes can have the biggest impact.
Eco-Friendly Moving Tips for the Public
Planning a move is stressful, but the following tips can help reduce your stress and your environmental impact:
- Dispose of Items Properly: Your community has guidelines in place to show you how to dispose of gas, paint, chemicals, appliances, and other electronics properly.
- Donate Excess Items: Local nonprofits are a great resource when you're sorting household items, clothing, and non-perishable food. You can donate these items to local charities and food cupboards to help those in need.
- Follow the Three 'R's:' You can reduce your impact on the environment by reusing old moving boxes, reusing plastic totes, and recycling what you can before and after your move.
Eco-Friendly Moving Tips for Moving Companies
By following the tips listed below, moving companies can reduce their environmental impact, not only in their long-distance moves but also in their everyday life:
- Use Less Gas: If we have customers with smaller shipments moving to the same general area, we can combine their shipments onto the same truck. By using a single truck, we can reduce the number of trips taken, which reduces fuel consumption.
- Use Reusable Packing Materials: While one-use cardboard boxes, foam, and plastic wrap are the most common packing materials, there are reusable items that work just as well. We use moving blankets, large rubber bands and re-usable wardrobe boxes to cut down on waste.
If you're planning a move, following the above tips and partnering with an environmentally-friendly moving company can help you do your part to protect the environment. Allied Alaska is proud to do our part in reducing the damage to the environment by adopting eco-friendly practices in both our moves and our company life.
Contact Us Today to Learn More About Our Moving Services
As an agent of Allied Van Lines, Allied Alaska has all the moving and storage solutions you need for a hassle-free long-distance move. Our Alaska long-distance movers offer the following services to make your move as seamless as possible:
- Full-Service Packing
- Custom Crating
- Short- and Long-Term Storage Solutions
- Padding/Wrapping of Furniture
- And More!
Call our residential movers in Alaska today to learn more about our personalized moving plans.