Whether you are moving internationally or locally, moving can be a headache if you're not properly prepared. Our moving checklist is here to provide assistance in relieving the moving headache.
4 TO 6 WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR MOVE
- Make an inventory of your household goods.
- Start a file for all of your moving paperwork.
- Obtain and fill out post office change of address cards.
- Ask your doctor or heath plan for referrals and obtain all medical records.
- Contact all utilities for service disconnection.
- Arrange for special transportation of pets and plants if necessary.
- Make any travel plans necessary for your move.
2 TO 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR MOVE
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammable items.
- Service your car in preparation for move.
- Transfer prescriptions and be sure to have an adequate supply of medications on hand.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO YOUR MOVE
- Transfer your back accounts.
- Settle any bills with local business.
- Drain power equipment of oil and gas.
2-3 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR MOVE
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, propping doors open.
- Disconnect prepare major appliances for moving.
- Let movers pack your belongings (unless it's a do it yourself move).
- Set aside anything that will travel in your car so that it will not be loaded in the truck.
- Pack a box of items that will be needed first at the new house.
- Confirm arrival time of your moving van.
- Go over entire checklist to make sure you haven't missed anything.
- Be present when moving crew arrives.
- Check inventory to be sure that everything that you want loaded in the van is included.
- Before driver departs, inspect inside and outside your residence for items that may have been overlooked.
- Go over and sign paperwork with driver and verify delivery address and notification phone number.
BEFORE DELIVERY DAY
- Contact the designated agent to make sure they have contact information when the van arrives.
- Check with your utilities service and have them connected.
- Examine your new home and decide on furniture placement before the van arrives.
- Indicate the location of the furniture and take the diagrams to the door of each appropriate room.
- Be on hand to answer any questions.
- Check off items on the inventory and notate any damage.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.
- After completion of delivery perform a walkthrough of your residence and notate and damage in the event that this has occurred.